Board of Peace will ask the UN Security Council to press Hamas to disarm

FILE - President Donald Trump, center, applauds as Ilham Aliyev, President of Azerbaijan, left, and Bulgaria's Prime Minister Rossen Jeliazkov, right, hold up their signed Board of Peace charter during the Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Jan. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)
FILE - President Donald Trump, center, applauds as Ilham Aliyev, President of Azerbaijan, left, and Bulgaria's Prime Minister Rossen Jeliazkov, right, hold up their signed Board of Peace charter during the Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Jan. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)
Palestinians inspect the destruction caused by an Israeli strike in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
Palestinians inspect the destruction caused by an Israeli strike in Khan Younis, southern Gaza Strip, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)
High Representative for President Donald Trump's International Board of Peace and its efforts in Gaza Nickolay Mladenov speaks to the media during the Board of Peace press briefing in East Jerusalem, Wednesday May 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Ohad Zwigenberg)
High Representative for President Donald Trump's International Board of Peace and its efforts in Gaza Nickolay Mladenov speaks to the media during the Board of Peace press briefing in East Jerusalem, Wednesday May 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Ohad Zwigenberg)
Palestinians react to a fire following an Israeli strike on a residential building in the Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Friday, May 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Jehad Alshrafi)
Palestinians react to a fire following an Israeli strike on a residential building in the Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Friday, May 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Jehad Alshrafi)
FILE - President Donald Trump holds the charter during a signing ceremony on his Board of Peace initiative at the Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Jan. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Markus Schreiber, file)
FILE - President Donald Trump holds the charter during a signing ceremony on his Board of Peace initiative at the Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Jan. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Markus Schreiber, file)
Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

GENEVA (AP) — The body overseeing the U.S.-brokered ceasefire in Gaza will ask the United Nations Security Council to press the Hamas militant group to disarm, according to a report seen by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The report by the Board of Peace, an international body set up by U.S. President Donald Trump and tasked with overseeing the fragile ceasefire between Hamas and Israel, is expected to be discussed by the Security Council on Thursday when it meets on the situation in the Middle East.

“At this stage, the principal obstacle to full implementation (of the ceasefire) remains Hamas’ refusal to accept verified decommissioning, relinquish coercive control, and permit a genuine civilian transition in Gaza,” the report said.

Hamas in a statement rejected the report and said it contains “fallacies.”

A diplomat familiar with the report confirmed its authenticity, speaking on condition of anonymity because it has not been made public.

Trump’s 20-point ceasefire plan calls on Hamas to surrender its weapons and destroy its vast network of tunnels. It also envisions Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza, the arrival of a new technocratic Palestinian government, deployment of an international security force and the rebuilding of the battered Palestinian enclave after more than two years of war.

Board of Peace head has said the ceasefire has stalled

Last week, the head of the Board of Peace, former U.N. Mideast envoy Nickolay Mladenov, acknowledged that the truce had stalled since taking effect in October, saying the deadlock over disarming Hamas had paralyzed progress.

“Reconstruction cannot commence where weapons have not been laid down,” the board’s report to the Security Council says. “The critical variable — the single factor that unlocks every other element of the plan — is the conclusion of an agreement on the Roadmap for the full implementation of the plan that includes full decommissioning by Hamas and all armed groups in Gaza.”

The Palestinian militant group, which led the Oct. 7, 2023, attack on Israel that sparked the war in Gaza, has accused Israel of failing to meet its obligations under the first phase of the ceasefire and has sought to link any demilitarization to Israeli troop pullbacks. Israel’s military has expanded its control of Gaza since the truce took effect and now controls some 60% of the territory.

The new report calls on the Security Council to “reiterate publicly, clearly and consistently that the decommissioning of weapons in Gaza is not merely a requirement (of the UN’s resolution to end the war) but critical for reconstruction to begin, for a timebound Israeli forces withdrawal, and for a credible pathway to Palestinian self-determination and statehood to be pursued.”

The Security Council endorsed the Board of Peace in a resolution in November.

Hamas says the report tries to derail the ceasefire

Hamas said the report “contains a number of fallacies that absolve the occupying government of its responsibilities for the daily violations of the ceasefire agreement in Gaza.”

The group said the report ignored Israel’s “failure to uphold the majority of its commitments” in the ceasefire deal, including the continued restrictions on crossings into the Palestinian territory and preventing the entry of material and equipment needed to repair basic infrastructure and shelter for the largely displaced population.

“The report’s adoption of the occupation’s conditions regarding disarmament is a dubious attempt to muddy the waters and derail the ceasefire agreement,” Hamas said in a statement.

It called on the Security Council and Mladenov to compel Israel to fulfill its commitments under the ceasefire' deal's first phase, "foremost among them the cessation of the daily aggression against our Palestinian people in Gaza.”

The ceasefire has seen numerous violations

The report noted near-daily ceasefire violations, “some of which are serious, and their human consequences — civilians killed, families living in fear, and continued impediments to humanitarian access — cannot be minimized.”

Israel’s military still carries out airstrikes in Gaza despite the ceasefire and has pushed deeper into the territory, where it now controls more than it was granted under the ceasefire agreement. Living conditions are dire, with most of the territory’s 2 million people living in tent camps lacking basic services.

Mladenov last week said his office is addressing violations by both sides on a daily basis. But he repeatedly cited the disarmament issue as a central sticking point, saying Hamas’ obligation to give up its arsenal is “not negotiable" and that progress on all other issues was being held up.

___

Becatoros contributed from Athens, Greece. Joseph Federman in Jerusalem contributed to this report.

 

Salem News Channel Today

Sponsored Links

On Air & Up Next

  • Best Stocks Now
    3:00PM - 4:00PM
     
    Bill Gunderson provides listeners with financial guidance that is both experienced and accomplished.
     
  • The Hugh Hewitt Show
    4:00PM - 6:00PM
     
    Hugh Hewitt is one of the nation’s leading bloggers and a genuine media   >>
     
  • SEKULOW
    6:00PM - 7:00PM
     
    Jay Sekulow is widely regarded as one of the foremost free speech and religious   >>
     
  • The Larry Elder Show
    7:00PM - 9:00PM
     
    Larry Elder personifies the phrase “We’ve Got a Country to Save” The “Sage from   >>
     
  • America at Night with McGraw Milhaven
     
    Armed with a degree in history and political science from the University of   >>
     

See the Full Program Guide