Tuesday, July 12
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. OBAMA PAYS TRIBUTE TO DALLAS OFFICERS SHOT IN RACIAL ATTACK
The president urges Americans to find "open hearts" in a speech that seesaws between honoring law enforcers for their bravery and decrying racial prejudice that can affect their work.
2. THREE ARRESTED FOR STEALING GUNS IN 'CREDIBLE THREAT' TO HARM OFFICERS IN BATON ROUGE
Authorities who discovered the plot while responding to a burglary at a pawn shop call on the fourth suspect to turn himself in.
3. POLL SUGGESTS AFTER EDUCATION, YOUNG PEOPLE DIVERGE ON 2016 ISSUES
For African-American adults between the ages of 18 and 30, racism is nearly as important. For young Hispanics, it's immigration. And for whites and Asian-Americans, it's economic growth.
4. SANDERS FINALLY ENDORSES CLINTON
The Vermont senator emphatically tells his supporters their "political revolution" must now turn to electing his Democratic former rival.
5. WHO IS COMPARED TO GERMAN CHANCELLOR
Political observers see a lot of similarities between Britain's new leader, Theresa May, and Germany's Angela Merkel.
6. WHERE U.S. INTENDS TO BASE HUNDREDS OF TROOPS
They will be deployed outside Afghanistan as part of America's commitment to the NATO advise-and-assist mission.
7. OBAMA ADMINISTRATION WARNS TOP LAWMAKERS OVER ZIKA
The White House cautions Congress that continued gridlock over legislation to combat the virus could delay development of a vaccine to protect against the disease.
8. NASA'S JUNO SPACECRAFT BEAMS FIRST PICTURES FROM JUPITER
A newly released image shows the planet surrounded by three of its four largest moons.
9. WHY YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT NEW DOW RECORD
So much of our mood about our investments seems to hang on the index. When it's down, we're down. When it's up, we're up.
10. MANNY PACQUIAO PLANS TO RETURN TO THE RING
He gets permission to take a break from his new duties as a senator in the Philippines to take another fight. It will be held Nov. 5, likely in Las Vegas.